Medical Interpreting Workshop
DUE TO THE WEATHER
this event is rescheduled to April 21st and 28th.
Seats are still available, please email Piet Koene if you would like to attend.
Saturdays, April 21 and 28, 2018
8:45 am to 4:15 pm
Northwestern College Interpreting Lab, Van Peursem Hall lower level
$200 per person* | Two day introductory course | limited to 12 participants
*Organizations that send 3 or more attendees will receive a $50 discount for all registrations after the first two.
The Medical Interpreting Workshop is an introductory course that includes hands-on training and practice. The course is for:
- Bilingual speakers who currently provide Spanish-English interpreting and translation services in a healthcare setting
- Bilingual speakers who want to receive training to provide Spanish-English interpreting and translation services in a healthcare setting
- Supervisors of interpreter services
The Spanish-English Medical Interpreting Workshop will cover:
- The role and limits of the interpreter within medical settings
- Professional protocol, code of conduct and etiquette for medical interpreters
- Medical interpreting certification information
- Comparisons of simultaneous, consecutive and written translation as well as practice with each
- Cultural influences on communication
- Words vs. meaning and vocabulary resources
- Skills development and memory exercises and strategies
The workshop will be taught by Northwestern Spanish professor Piet Koene, who is certified by the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters and is a Certified Court Interpreter for both Iowa and Minnesota.