Apply Request info.

Frequently asked questions

If you choose to take two courses per term you will complete the endorsement in one calendar year (three terms). If you choose to take one course per term, you will finish in two calendar years (six terms).

You will take 15 credits of coursework and 4 credits of student teaching. There are five courses plus student teaching in the program.

Northwestern can accept up to two courses in transfer for this program. However, you must be able to provide the syllabi from those classes, and you will be asked to demonstrate how the required competencies were met in those classes.

No, the coursework is available entirely online. Field experience and student teaching can be arranged near your home—even in your own classroom as long as those experiences meets the criteria.

Please read about our tuition and fees.

The Endorsement 100 program alone is NOT eligible for financial aid. However, if you are pursuing the Endorsement 100 + an early childhood M.Ed., then you're encouraged to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The financial aid specialists at Northwestern will evaluate your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal student aid. Students pursuing the ECIS endorsement may also qualify for the Iowa T.E.A.C.H. grant.

New students can begin any term. Terms begin in August, January and May.

Complete the application and request your official transcripts be sent to Admissions.

100 pre-student teaching practicum hours are required. Hours can be completed in your own classroom or building as long as they meet the required criteria. Contact Crystal Rozeboom for more information.

Yes, 20 days of student teaching are required. Prior student teaching in an early childhood classroom will not suffice. You can complete your student teaching in your own classroom as long as it meets the criteria. Contact Crystal Rozeboom for more information.

The Endorsement 100: PreK-3 including Special Education qualifies you to work in an integrated classroom containing both regular and special education students. The ECE endorsement does not contain the special education component. Most Headstart programs, preschools, early childcare centers and elementary schools require Endorsement 100.

The state of Iowa requires demonstrated mastery of specific competencies before awarding this endorsement. Read more about the  competencies. Because of this structure, you cannot simply complete courses in early childhood at any college and earn the endorsement; you must complete an approved program. Northwestern College is the only institution in Iowa to offer the approved program entirely online.

No, this is an endorsement program. You must already possess your elementary education license in order to teach in an elementary or early childhood classroom. You are invited to take the courses for personal growth if you wish, but you will not qualify for the endorsement unless you have an elementary education license. You cannot earn your elementary education degree online at Northwestern, but we invite you to consider pursuing your degree at our campus in Orange City.

No, the endorsement can only be added to an elementary education license.