Dr. Rebecca Hoey
Dean of Northwestern College Graduate School & Adult Learning
Ed.D., University of South Dakota
M.Ed., St. Mary's University
B.A., Wayne State College
As Northwestern’s online education administrator, Dr. Hoey oversees development of the college’s graduate degrees and other programs for adult learners, which include Master of Education degrees, graduate certificates, degree-completion programs, and continuing education opportunities. While a research committee member for the International Association for K-12 Online Learning, she helped write a survey of policy and practices around the world. Dr. Hoey is co-editor of NET: An e-Journal of Faith-Based Distance Learning, and she has published in the Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration. She has experience teaching online courses and developing and designing online curriculum. Prior to entering higher education, she taught business in high schools in Colorado and Minnesota.
Publications and presentations
- Hoey R., & McCracken, F. (2015, December). "Compensation and ownership: The current state of online course development at Christian Colleges." Net: An eJournal of Faith-Based Distance Learning, 1(1).
- Hoey, R., McCracken, F., Gehrett, M., and Snoeyink, R. (2014, September). "Evaluating the impact of administrator and administrative structure of online programs at nonprofit private colleges." Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 17(3).
- Hoey, R. (2013, June). "Examining Christian college students’ summer school choices." Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 16(2).
- Hoey, R. (2012, June). "What does the teacher do when the computer does all of the work?" International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 9(6), 43-58.
- Hoey, R. (2012). "Examining the Impact of Teacher-Generated Feedback in Online Secondary Math Courses Where Computer-Assisted Instruction is Embedded." (Doctoral dissertation). ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database (AAT 3507176).
- Barbour, M., Brown, R., Hasler Waters, L., Hoey, R., Hunt, J., Kennedy, K., Ousworth, C., Powell, A., and Trimm, T. (2011, November). "Online and blended learning: A survey of policy and practice of K-12 schools around the world." Vienna, VA: iNACOL.
- "Bringing the Staff On Board: Development of an Adult Student Services Committee to Improve Service to Online Students," February 9, 2016. FantasTECH Virtual Conference 2016. Online.
- "Frank Talk About the Cost of Marketing Distance Programs," July 1, 2015. Distance Learning Administration Conference 2015. Jekyll Island, Georgia.
- "From Traditional Professor to Online Course Designer: Online Professional Development to Support Online Course Development," June 9, 2014. Distance Learning Administration Conference 2014. Jekyll Island, Georgia.
- "From Online Professor to Online Course Designer: Online Professional Development to Support Online Course Development," March 20, 2014. Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference, 2014. Jacksonville, Florida.
- "Examining Christian College Students’ Summer School Choices," June 3, 2013. Distance Learning Administration Conference, 2013. Jekyll Island, Georgia.
- "Self-Paced But Not Alone—Research on Feedback and Computer-Assisted Instruction," October 11, 2012. 18th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning. Orlando, Florida.
- "Examining the Impact of Teacher-Generated Feedback in Online Secondary Courses Where Computer-Assisted Instruction is Embedded," April 11, 2012. IdeaFest, University of South Dakota. Vermillion, South Dakota.
- "Curriculum Mapping," October 11, 2011. Northwest Iowa Community College. Sheldon, Iowa.
- "Using VoiceThread to Promote Immediacy in Online Courses," April 11-12, 2011. Iowa Community College Online Consortium Spring Conference, Ames, Iowa.
- "Making Feedback Meaningful and Motivating in the Online or Traditional Classroom," February 20, 2010. The Collaboration for the Advancement of College Teaching & Learning Winter Conference, Bloomington, Minnesota.
- "Beginning a Teacher Mentorship Program," April 2000, A Celebration of Caring, Sharing and Learning Conference, Champlin Park, Minnesota.
- Curriculum Design Coordinator, Northwest Iowa Community College
- Online Instructor, New Faculty Mentor and Online Tutor, Axia College of the University of Phoenix
- Adjunct Faculty, Buena Vista University
- Campus Adviser, Transfer Specialist and International Student Adviser, Minnesota West Community and Technical College
- International Association for K-12 Online Learning
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Delta Pi Epsilon
- Recipient of Graduate Research Award, University of South Dakota, November 2010
- Leadership in Educational Excellence Award, State of Minnesota, November 2000
- Certificate of Recognition for Leadership in Developing a Teacher Mentorship Program, Paynesville Area Schools, November 2000
- National Business Education Association Award of Merit, May 1995