Thomas Van Soelen
Master of Education Instructor
Ph.D., University of Georgia
M.Ed. and Ed.S., Florida Atlantic University
B.A., Dordt College
Publications and presentations
- Van Soelen, T.M. (December 29, 2016). "Four Ways to Make Professional Development Work." Guest blog post on "Leadership 360" online, Education Week.
- Van Soelen, T.M., Kersey, S.N., Perkins, R. (November 2016). "Teacher evaluation and support are not mutually exclusive." Principal Leadership, 17:3, 44-47.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (June 23, 2016). "Team work boosts student learning and professional community." Phi Belta Kappan Common Core Writing Project.
- Van Soelen, T.M. (2016) "Crafting the feedback teachers need and deserve: A guide for leaders." NY: Routledge/Taylor and Francis.
- Van Soelen, T.M. & Harden, D. (October 2015). "Navigation aids: 9 shifts in practice smooth the transition from school to central office. Journal of Staff Development, 36 (5), pp. 22-25, 38.
- "Know Thy Impact," Georgia MAP Partner Meeting (2014)
- "Common Core Shifts," Georgia Assessment Summit (2013)
- "Using Student Growth Scores for School Improvement and Teacher Evaluation," Georgia Assessment Summit (2013)
- "Using Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) for Students and Adults," Georgetown International Academy, Georgetown, Guyana, South America (2011)
- "Screeners, Interventions and Data Collection: Oh My!:" National Expeditionary Learning Conference, Portland, OR (2011)
- (partial list)
- President, Van Soelen & Associates, Lawrenceville (GA)
- Adjunct Professor, Dordt College, Sioux Center (IA)
- PLC Virtual Coach, Education Northwest, Portland (OR)
- Director of Achievement, EdisonLearning, Knoxville (TN)
- Adjunct Professor, Piedmont College, Demorest (GA)
- Associate Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur (GA)
- Assistant Superintendent of Instruction and Accountability, City Schools of Decatur (GA)
- Director of Human Resources, City Schools of Decatur (GA)
- National Facilitator, The School Reform Initiative